Prednisone Treatment for Vestibular Neuronitis
Trial end date:
SummaryThe purpose of the study is to investigate the value of steroids in the treatment of vestibular neuronitis. The potential benefits of steroid therapy would be analyzed by the clinical response, self-perceived handicap and laboratory parameters.
Accepts Healthy Volunteers?No
Carmel Medical Center
Clalit Health Services, Haifa and West Galilee
Hillel Yaffe Medical Center
Rambam Health Care Campus
University Health Network, Toronto
- Clinical diagnosis of vestibular neuronitis.
- Documentation of unilateral reduced caloric response (caloric asymmetry >25%) on the
EOG caloric study.
- Complaints of new hearing loss, tinnitus, or neurological deficits.
- The presence of previously non-diagnosed sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL)
- History of vestibular dysfunction.
- Patient younger than 18 years of age.
- Known contra-indication to systemic steroids: Unbalanced hypertension, un-controlled
diabetes mellitus, immunodeficiency, active peptic disease, and avascular necrosis of
the femoral head.